Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sugarcane Juice for Everyone!


I have been away from writing a while, and you're welcome for that.  But now I am back, so deal.

This past weekend was fairly boring.  On Sunday night my roommate and I went out to dinner with his friend's parents.  They could not have been nicer people.  Genuinely interested in my job, and my life; one can imagine how I enjoyed the attention.  We ate at a great Restaurant called Sonny’s, if you’re ever in the downtown Bangalore area you must go.  The parents know the owner there so he saw to it that we were served with the utmost attention and care.  The parents were happy to say that in all of Bangalore Sonny’s is the only restaurant that they would trust to eat salad and ice at, as they knew that all the water used was delivered and clean.  Naturally, and with much encouragement, I then ordered a salad.  The salad was good, but a little drenched in dressing for my taste, but hey I’m picky.

This week at work has been boring so far.  I was given an assignment the other day however, in which I had to ask the team managers to submit some status reports to me by a due date.  I must say it made me feel quite important.  Today, most of my day was spent following up with, and compiling the data I received back from them.  When I asked for the data, I attached a template, which I specifically said should be filled in completely, and that was what should be returned.  Naturally I received about five variations of responses, many containing not enough data, and some in a format completely different than what was provided.  The most singular occurrence however was when on manager went out of his way to say how the information I requested was similar to information another person requested two weeks ago.  He even followed up this with another email, sending me a copy of the other information to prove his point.  He complained that it made him to double work, and waste his time.  What is remarkable is that he never actually gave me any of the info I needed.  The info he sent as an example was too old for me to use and didn’t actually contain the proper details.  So, in all the time he wasted complaining, he could have gotten over it and sent one email…but where’s the fun in that.

My day today ended with a weekly review conference call, in which I talked to my boss’s boss from the states about food and the weather.  After the meeting my boss told me that he would get me started over the next week, on allowing me to take over a few processes which I will be submitting directly to the Directors in our office, giving me some quality interaction with.  I am very much looking forward to this and am rather excited and optimistic about my job in coming months.

Also, I had real south Indian food today…it was great.  Somewhat of a weird mix with some tastes, and yogurt got thrown in awkwardly, but it wasn’t too spicy and I could definitely get it again.  Lunch was followed by a cup of sugarcane juice, which I must say is really interesting.  It’s not overly sweet, and while not very cold, it is rather refreshing.

Today’s lesson, BS will follow you everywhere.

You’re Welcome,

x

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff! Any meat in any of the meals you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not in the traditional indian one, but I had a steak fillet at sonny's, it was amazing

    ReplyDelete