Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Main office


Today was my first day in my main office.  I met dozens of people, and there is one thing they all have in common.  Everyone was sincerely nice.  In America, most people working for big businesses either hate life, or think they’re hot stuff, and pretend to not hate life.  Here in Bangalore, everyone I saw was smiling.  The people here do serious work, and they are the best at what they do.  By some miracle, at least in an American’s eyes, they are still able to enjoy their time at work. 

At the start, my first day of work consisted of some introductions, and then sitting at my desk and waiting…to do more waiting.  All, of the sudden however, I was called into a meeting room with my manager and he looked me straight in the eye and said that they needed my help with a presentation.  Umm, ok.  The man I was working with was incredibly nice.  We joked around and talked a bunch.  Even if I didn’t add anything to the presentation, it was nice to meet this guy.  I was, however, able to contribute.  I can happily say that in the presentation, which was seen by the global vp, and department vp, in addition to the entire department, I and I alone determined the font of 5 slides and the entire content (3 words) of another.  As sad as it may seem to say, it gratified me.  When I made the suggestion for the content of the slide, it was considered along with ideas from 3 other people, including the manager himself, who reconsidered and went with my suggestion.  I was never really able to appreciate recognition such as this in the past.  But to come half way around the world, and on my first day be able to contribute something, it made me proud.  Later in the day I was introduced to the Global VP who had an air of importance around him.  He was incredibly kind, informal and sincere, yet everyone treated him as formal and with as much attention as I have ever seen.

On the way back home our transport driver decided to skip traffic.  This meant driving off road for a couple kilometers, and then driving through a busy market on a one-lane road, which had two directions of traffic. 

Now I sit in my room, waiting for Dominoes to arrive, which by the way is like ten times less greasy, and a hell of a lot cheaper here.   I am excited for my work days to come and for an adventurous weekend, stay tuned.

Today’s lesson, there’s always someone watching,

You’re welcome,

x

1 comment: